Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Introduction

Hi! I'm Sarah.
I'm 19.
In college.
Health Fitness Major.
I am super in-love with Jesus! :)
I have huge dreams.
I'm a die-hard Carolina Panthers fan.
I love ballroom dancing.
I'm the girliest tomboy you'll ever meet.
My shoes must match my outfit at all times (yes, even in the gym).
There is a method to my madness.
I have a much bigger passion for talking about fitness than actually doing it. ha!
I love people.
I'm honest. I can't get away with a lie if my life depended on it!
I always try to be myself, life's much more fun that way!
I'm so glad you're here reading this :)

I have seen countless blogs and online journals about people's fitness goals and exercise journeys. Why am I doing this? Well, at first I had no idea, but then decided that I'd do something a bit different. I have a passion for health, fitness and nutrition (I am much better at talking about it than actually doing it, but most people are, right)? ;)
I also have a passion about my relationship with Jesus Christ. God called us to take care of our bodies because it is a temple of the Lord. So, the new question I asked myself was, "How can I inspire others through health and fitness along with sharing the faith in the fitness world?" I immediately knew that's what this blog should be about.
Exercise, fitness, nutrition and basically anything that involves the health world is extremely important. It's everywhere these days, but a lot of the time it's put out there for the wrong reasons. I'm going to be honest. I'm 5'7, 144 pounds. I am not built (nor do I want to look like) a size 2 bikini model. Most people aren't! It's not the genes for me, and I'm ok with that. It's never necessarily been a desire of mine to look like that either. My desire is to be healthy. If my body is healthy in a size 8-10 pair of jeans at 140 pounds, then that's awesome! So many people stress out about a number on a scale without thinking of their actual health and wellness. Weight is JUST A NUMBER! I don't necessarily believe in scales. I think they stress people out too much. It's something that anyone can get easily obsessed and consumed with. I say chuck the scale out the window. If you're working out, eating right and living healthy, then you'll be able to judge your progress with how your clothes fit. I hate the words "diet" and "weight loss" just about more than anything. I believe in "proper nutrition" "healthy eating" "healthy body" "in-shape" "tone" "strong" etc. positive things!!
Anyway, enough of that rant. I decided to do a 30 day fitness and nutrition program by Jillian Michaels. For those of you who don't know who that is, she's a renowned fitness trainer, mostly known for her role on the popular show "The Biggest Loser." She is my fitness hero! The book is called "Making the Cut." Now, I won't be following this book word for word, it's important that you make the plan work for you, or it will be a fail every time. I am a balanced oxidizer (meaning I have to juggle 40% protein, 30% fats and 30% carbs in my daily food intake). Balanced oxidizers (in Jillians opinion) are called to take in Lamb and Swordfish twice a week. I'm sorry, but I'm a poor college student and can't afford that kind of stuff. I'm simply replacing Lamb with boneless, skinless chicken breasts and Swordfish with Salmon. Very easy switch. Instead of doing all of the planned workout circuit for a particular day, I may do half of it a long with a Spin class or high-intensity water aerobics. Change up your workouts, make them fun and right for you. Going to the gym does not have to be boring. :)
I'm so glad you're reading this and joining me on my journey. If you wish to never visit this site again, I won't be offended. :) I do challenge you to find something that works for you. Whether it be running (not something I like doing) or circuit training. Just get out there and be healthy! :)

No comments: