Monday, May 17, 2010

Girls can grunt too...

"In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps."
-Proverbs 16:9

If you've ever met me, one thing you'll quickly realize is that I am a woman with a plan. I always have a plan, no matter what I'm doing. It got to be so bad at one point that I couldn't sleep if I didn't map out everything I had to do the next day on paper. It's important to plan, especially during fitness. "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail,"-Jillian Michaels. Always know what your next step is going to be, how much weight/resistance you're going to use and what time you're going to do it. ALWAYS have your nutrition mapped out and ready. Food is a lot harder plan to follow than exercising. Plan, Plan, Plan! Be careful, though, it's so easy to become consumed with your plans that you neglect other important things. For me, it was sleep. I became so obsessed with having a plan that I couldn't sleep at night, which led to no energy and put a huge barrier on my fitness goals. Be sure to make a plan, but do your body a favor and take care of it in the process. :)

There's a lot the Bible has to say about plans. Everyone knows the popular verse, Jeremiah 29:11 (For I know that plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans to prosper...), but I ran across a verse in Proverbs last night that spoke to me. "In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps." (Proverbs 16:9). I plan too much. (sounds funny, huh)? Seriously, though, it cripples me. I have a my entire college career mapped out by class, have a list of internships I want my senior year and I know what job I want. I live in a dreamland sometimes when it comes to career aspirations, and that's ok, but I heard God clearly tell me last night to SLOW DOWN. God wants me (and you) to focus on what He has for me right now. If I'm too busy living in tomorrow, I could miss out on so many opportunities today. Having a plan is great and it's important to have big dreams and aspirations, but there must be a healthy balance of the two. The most important thing to remember is to get on your knees before the Lord and ask what His will is. His plan for our lives is better than any other thing that we could imagine!

This is completely random, but I had some interesting and fun moments in the gym today with some "macho guys." First off, there was one guy lifting probably way too much weight for a guy his size (but bless his heart, he was a determined little fella) and he looked like he was in labor propped up on that bench grunting. Then I went to the "grunting section" (yes, I call it this because I never see girls over there and guys are always grunting...weird). Anyway, I work out over there sometimes, and today I was doing chest flies with 10 pound weights. I took the middle bench because the 2 outside ones were taken. The guy on my right was a pretty big guy, I believe he was using about 50 pounds? I dunno. The other guy on my left was this huge cut guy. His arms were massive. I have no clue how much weight he was using, but it was A LOT. We all started our sets together (no, not on purpose) so you had these two huge guys and this little blonde headed girl all doing chest flies together. I thought it was hilarious. While we were resting between sets, I really wanted to look over and tell the guys that their shoes weren't matching their outfit, but I refrained. :)

No comments: