Monday, February 28, 2011

Happy Birthday, Papa!

Today I woke up and realized that it would've been my Papa's 71st birthday. The memories that flooded my mind are a bit harder to handle than I expected. Papa was pretty much the coolest grandparent anyone could ask for. Yeah, he put a new meaning to discipline at times, but he always knew how to make you laugh until you cried. His humor was like no other.
Papa truly understood the definition of being Jesus' "hands and feet." He was an elder in the church, a Gideon and as a Gideon he used to minister to men in jail. He was a great teacher and would tell you EXACTLY how it is. No and, if, or buts about it ;)

If you never got the chance to meet him, which I wish everyone could have... I'll explain why he is no longer here.

In January of 2000 my Papa started having strange symptoms and his left eye closed up. We had no idea what was wrong with him, so my Nana (or as he would say, his woman) took him to the doctor. They returned with some shocking news. I remember my daddy telling me that Papa was sick. I didn't really think much of it until I heard the word "cancer." My Papa was diagnosed with neuroendocrine carcinoma. It is an extremely rare brain cancer, found on the brain stem. It cannot be directly treated because the patient would go brain dead. Even worse news followed... the doctors didn't see my Papa living any more than 6 months.

By the way, I remember this story as a 9-10 year old, so if any family is reading this and I don't have my facts straight...feel more than welcome to correct me :) Oh and Papa's story has a lot to do with my story as a christian, but this is Papa's day and I'll share my story later. :) Ok, back to the story:

One thing I noticed from the get go is that my Papa never panicked. I never heard him complain, heck I don't think I ever saw him sad. He was always smiling and putting his complete trust in God. He said that he was going to fight this for the Kingdom and God's glory would be shown through the fight against cancer. Gosh, talk about a man of God! So, he shortly started chemotherapy and sixth months later...when I was expecting disaster to strike, my Papa was alive. He was still fighting.

Funny memory time. When Papa was first diagnosed, the doctor made him wear an eye patch over his eye. I'll never forget being at the beach, sitting on the pier waiting to eat breakfast and a kid runs up to Papa- amazed at what he saw! He looks at his mom and points to Papa saying, "Look mom!! A real pirate!!" My papa looks over at the boy and says, "arghh!!" See, me being a pirate just makes sense now :)

The next 3 and a half years are a blur. I remember that Papa eventually started using a cane to walk, then a walker and then a wheel chair. I do remember that he ended up getting one of those nice recliner like power scooters. Those things were so much fun to play on. I remember my Aunt Angie (Papa's daughter) riding up on it through the pasture to get to the family swimming pool. hahaha!

I had a very special moment with my Papa a few months before he died. I remember he was rolling around in his wheel chair throughout his house and he stopped in the kitchen and was having some trouble. I don't remember exactly what he said, but I remember it being negative. This was almost 4 years into his what was supposed to be 6 month battle, and this was the first time I heard him complain. I remember my mom, Nana, Aunt Jeanne (Papa's sister) and me getting on our knees, laying hands on Papa and praying for him in the middle of the kitchen. It is a special memory that I will hold close to my heart forever. It brings tears to my eyes just thinking about that moment and the wonderful example that my family has always set for me.

A few months later, Papa was on complete bed rest. He did not want to die in a hospital room. If he was going to die, it was going to be at home, surrounded by family and close friends. I remember celebrating my brother's birthday in the living room, where my Papa's bed was set up. The living room was connected to the dining room, so we were able to have dinner and celebrate with Papa as he laid in his bed. I remember my brother singing "Who Am I" by Casting Crowns into my Papa's ear that night. It was a special time of worship. My entire family, Nana and Papa's children and their children. It was so special.

The next day I watched one of the hardest things I've ever had to watch in my entire life. My daddy saying bye to his daddy. My daddy had worked by Papa's side since he was 14 years old. They are so much alike, it's crazy. I don't have to look very far if I'm missing Papa... my daddy has so many of his characteristics. There's a picture somewhere of my daddy leaning over my Papa, hugging him and shaking his hand. I remember sitting there in the dining room watching them. What a great example of a good father/son relationship.

The next day... June 17, 2004 12:58 in the afternoon, Papa went to be home with Jesus. Yes, it was a sad event, but I remember being comforted by the fact that the wheel chair was here, not in heaven. My Papa was doing cart wheels, back flips... you name it, he was doing it- no wheel chair. His body is whole now. No pain, no chemo and NO CANCER! My Papa was healed. He did win his fight against cancer. Sometimes God's healing is taking someone home and I am completely okay with that!

A few days before Papa died, there was a dove that stayed in the front yard. I remember sitting in the kitchen watching it... no one knew why it was there.  Before I move on, there's one thing you have to understand about Papa. He was a go big or go home type of guy. There was the wrong way to do things and there was the Wayne's way to do things. He always knew how to go out with a bang. Well, why should his death be any different?...

Our Pastor, Randall Worley, was on his way to the house to visit the family a few hours after Papa passed away. He said that he looked up and saw a dove flying away. Hmm, nice one, Papa. Don't know how you had that one arranged ;) I'm just kidding... but not really.

So, yes, my Papa would have been 71 today. We would be making him a big, chocolate cake and he would probably be eating sardines out of the can...dipped in mustard. Gross! He would also be eating black licorice. He had a strange taste in food and candy, but that's okay. He would also be on the floor, playing with his 2 granddaughters that he never got the chance to meet... but he will one day! He has 10 grandchildren (go big or go home, right?) :D



That's my Papa's story. He was so much more than a cancer patient. He wanted to change people's lives, through Christ living in him. Gosh, if he only knew how many people showed up to the visitation and funeral. We were only supposed to be accepting visitors for two hours... we were there for almost 5 hours!! Countless people coming in and talking about the Legacy that Papa left. What an honor it is to be a part of his family... his legacy. He was an incredible guy.

Now that I've finished writing, I notice there's tears running down my face... but joyful ones. The memories are sweet. I will cherish them forever. :)

3 comments:

Tracey Lathan said...

Sweet Sarah,
As I sit here, with tears running down my face, I can't help but think how proud of you your Papa is right now! I know he adored you! I remember him as a Godly, sweet man who was always happy and joyful! His legacy is a strong one that will affect many who know you and your family! I pray that your family will have a strong spirit of joy today, as they reflect on their lives with him. I appreciate you posting this, as my dad, who is 64, has been battling cancer for a year and a half. He has been in remission for a year, but the doctors think it might be back. We are praying for healing (in whatever form God sees fit) and for long life for him. God knew and ordained his days before he was born! God is in control! We don't know how many days,months, or years he has left, but I know that cherishing each day is so important! We trust Him wholeheartedly! Much LOVE to you!! Happy Birthday Wayne!!

Unknown said...

Pass the tissues! What a great memory you have. You were just a little girl, not much older than Kate when he got sick. What a blessing to have such sweet memories. Thanks for the blog, it was good to read today:) Love you, my little girl always! Mom

Angie Sustar said...

Oh Sweet Sarah..
Well done and well written. Your recall of the events are very accurate and your undeniable love for our sweet Papa is evident. I was blessed to call him dad. We are truly blessed! I love you so much! Aunt Angie