Sunday, January 16, 2011

What is a hero?

 Since I've been home for the last two weekends, I have been going with my family Transformation church on Saturday evenings to hear Pastor Derwin Gray speak. As a first time guest, I was given his book, "Hero," and tonight I just decided to pick it up and glance through it. As I read some of the excerpts from the book, I began to think about what a true "hero" is. So, I used good ol' dictionary.com to look up an official definition. 5 results came up, but the first one was the best:

Hero: a man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities.


One man came to my mind after reading that definition. 



1. My hero is a man of integrity. If there is any lesson that he has taught me growing up, it is to have integrity. Do not be sneaky or underhanded. Do not only think of yourself. How can I serve others? Even if it is unfair to me, how can I help someone else and be a man of my word? I believe that integrity is one of the hardest characteristics to have, but God will honor it. Heroes have integrity.

2. My hero is a man of compassion. Whoever said that men cannot show emotion or be compassionate was stupid. Real men show compassion and help people. I am absolutely convinced that even if my hero were living in a cardboard box on the side of the road, he would still serve others. There is not a doubt in my mind. God has given him a heart to serve (I will later show a picture of him building a church for a village in the Dominican Republic). I hope that one day I can have that same heart. Heroes have compassion.

3. My hero LOVES his wife. He is constantly serving her, providing for her, putting her first. Showing her love in so many ways. Telling her he loves her in front of their children. I have seen true love lived out in front of me my entire life. I do not have to fall for this "fake society love" that everyone thinks is so real. I know that I am special, made my God and I deserve to be cherished and treasured by a man who loves the Lord with all of his heart. That is how my hero acts towards his wife. One day, I'll have a husband like that too. Heroes love their wives.

4. My hero is a man of his word. If he says he is going to do something, he not only does it, but he does it whole heartedly. You do not do something half way with little effort. If you cannot do something, then do not say that you can. It is important to do something to the standard you would want it done. To put forth all of the effort you could possibly give. Heroes are men of their word.

5. My hero is consistent. It is important to "walk your talk." Do not say something and then go do the exact opposite. If you truly desire to be a "hero" and have a whole-hearted devotion to Christ, you have got to live out the gospel. Be consistent. If you slip up, it's ok. Humbling yourself and admitting your wrong and asking for forgiveness is a good thing! Just be consistent. Heroes are consistent.

My daddy is my hero. He will always be my hero.







There are no words to describe how much I love my daddy. He is the greatest man I have ever known. I'm pretty sure it's safe to say that he is the greatest man that I will ever know. If I were to write everything that he has ever taught me, well, this blog would go on for all eternity just about.
I got to hang out with my dad today for a little bit, just me and him. Sadly, I do not get to do that very much anymore. I live four hours away and when I am home, I usually have such little time here that I do not get much one-on-one time with family members. I was in need of a new pair of shoes today and my daddy took me to town to get some. It was nice to just be there with him and talk. I could drive down the road for hours and talk to my dad. 
Anyway, the older I get, the more I realize how much I am like him. We think the same, talk the same, strategize the same, negotiate the same and have the same sense of humor. Those are just the little things, but he has taught me many things that will take me far in life. I catch myself wanting to pick at his brain and become more like him. If we were business partners, we could take over the world. haha! Just kidding, but not really. :p We make a great team. 

He does not get honored enough for being the great man that he is. So here's a blog post for you, daddy. Even though I know you will never take credit for all of the things that you do. You are a good man. I am proud to be your daughter. I do not deserve a wonderful father like you. I am overwhelmingly blessed!!

Thank you, Lord, for giving me not only a hero, but for letting me call him daddy! 


1 comment:

Unknown said...

WOW I am speechless.