Monday, January 3, 2011

Scattered thoughts...

       I don't know why I love this song so much, but my church's worship band sang it yesterday and I am in love with it. I usually don't like really slow songs, but the words to this song are absolutely powerful.

        Today I got the opportunity to go back to my old high school and speak to the students enrolled in a Christian Leadership course. I estimated about 15 or so to be in the room. It seemed that there were mostly sophmores and juniors were in the class. I had felt God telling me to go to this class while I was on Christmas break back about a month ago. I was finally able to go and I had no idea what God wanted me to share. I usually never prepare anything to speak about when I am scheduled to just because God always shows up and tells me what to say. When I arrived (I got there a few minutes early and everyone was at lunch) I sat in the teacher's chair and just asked God what He wanted me to say. I felt in my Spirit, "just be honest, tell them your experience." The students arrived and I was surprised at how many I did not recognize. It's amazing how I went from knowing everyone when I was a senior, to come back two years later and know hardly anyone. I got up there and just started talking about my high school experience and how I was ready to finally step out from under that Christian covering and education that I had all of my life. Not that I was wanting to step away from God, but I wanted to finally step out on my own, just me and God. When I told them that, many of them seemed surprised. More surprised that I was standing up there saying that in front of a staff member. I know that they are having those exact same feelings that I had during my later high school years. I shared with them my college experience so far. I talked about how different things seemed to me at first. I told them it was the little things that got me the most. Things like not praying and taking prayer requests before class, not having a Bible in class, professors not wanting to learn your name (or anything else about you, for that matter). I told them that I was in a state of shock. I said that the thing that broke my heart the most was the lack of truth taught in the classroom. Many people on a college campus have no clue what the truth is. They go with what they feel is best and that, sadly, most of the time ends up what they make out as truth. I just really encouraged them to know and have a true and intimate relationship with God. I hope and pray that they saw and heard the passion that I hold for God. My prayer for those students, as they are making their way towards different college campuses, is that they would have true relationship with God. Talking to Him and spending time with Him every day. Knowing that they do not have to feel like their drowning in the world, because the Lord has already overcome the world. There is a chance that I get to go back on Wednesday if they have anymore questions. I am praying that the Spirit will fill me with wisdom to share with them. Above all else, I want them to feel my honesty and that I am not getting told by the staff what to say. I truly do believe in walking in full alignment with Christ and I want them to experience that.
       Another thing that I stressed to them is being obedient to God's plan. I shared with them the plans that I left my high school with and how every single one of those plans were ruined because that is not where God wanted my life going. I told them that because of my obedience to God's will, I am now walking in freedom and would not change one thing that He has decided for me.

      If you do not own this book, "Breaking Free: Day by Day," written by Beth Moore. I highly recommend it!! I was reading the devotion for today and I found it to be so good! I will share it with you:
"'My body faints for You in a land that is dry, desolate and without water.' -Psalm 63:1
'What do you usually do when you're hungry or thirsty? You seek what will meet your need. If you ignore your physical needs long enough, not only will you be miserable; you will be ill.
You can easily recognize the signals your body gives for food and nourishment, but great wisdom lies in learning how to discern the signals your spiritual nature gives. The most obvious symptom of a soul in need of God's satisfaction is a sense of inner emptiness- the awareness of a 'hollow place' somewhere deep inside- the inability to be satisfied. Let this longing drive you to your Savior.'"



      I am also reading another book by Elizabeth Elliot! It is called, "Quest for Love: True Stories of Passion and Purity." I am quite the sucker for a good love story, but what is even better about this book is it is about a bunch of different love stories, ordained by God. That makes me feel a whole lot better knowing that people have/had the same exact thoughts that run through my head everyday about true love. I no longer feel too incredible crazy and know that there is still hope for me! Anyway, I wanted to share a version of 1 Corinthians 13 that I had never heard before. I think this is my favorite way of it being worded! 
"This love which I speak is slow to lose patience- it looks for a way of being constructive. It is not possessive: it is neither anxious to impress nor does it cherish inflated ideas of its own importance. 
Love has good manners and does not pursue selfish advantage. It is not touchy. It does not keep account of evil or gloat over the wickedness of other people. On the contrary, it is glad with all good men when truth prevails.
Love knows no limits to its endurance, no end to its trust, no fading of its hope; it can outlast anything. It is, in fact, the one thing that still stands when all else has fallen."
-1 Corinthians 13:4-8 Phillips

I know that was a heck of a scattered post, but I have had a lot going through my mind lately! :)

No comments: