Monday, December 12, 2011

The Tebow Effect: Finding Favor In Your Own Life

It's no secret that I'm a Tebow fan. I've been a huge fan since he was in college. I'm more so a fan of his character than his actual playing, but I do enjoy watching him play... it's hard to not to catch the passion that he has.

I'm sitting here listening to commentators on ESPN baffled at how all of this is happening. How does a not-so-great quarterback, statistically speaking, continue to lead his team to victory at the last minute week in and week out? Many won't give any credit to his faith, while others are beginning to question whether this God could actually be real.

Here's my thinking:

Tim is not the only believer in the league. I'm aware that there are very many Christians in the league. Kurt Warner is a Christian and even hosted the Dove Awards a few years back. Jonathan Stewart of the Carolina Panthers is constantly tweeting about things that he is learning in Bible study, Colt McCoy is a believer. These are just to name a few.

I believe Tim has been given a platform. I do not understand why his platform is larger than other player's platform in the league, but that is the way God has it. Tim is very vocal about his faith, never taking credit for himself in front of the media, but rather giving credit to God and his teammates. I think this is an awesome way for God to show off his awesome power and turn some heads.

After a huge Bronco's win, I do have to sit back and keep things in perspective. Tim is not doing any of this, nor is it the team's doing. This is simply a way God is using a willing vessel to show His glory. I think a lot of people will come to salvation because of this crazy season the Broncos are having.

Warning:
I understand that many people are excited and their minds are blown away by this "Tebow Mania" going on. We must be careful! He is a man. A very young man. He will make mistakes. We have got to be careful about putting him up on a pedestal. The higher the pedestal, the harder the fall. I'm not saying that I'm expecting there to be some "shocking scandal" to happen, but he is human... NOT perfect, like many people are believing him to be. We, as christians, need to pray for him, believing that God will use him for His glory. Also believing that he will be able to withstand any attacks from the enemy and continue to be accountable to whatever mentor is in his life. I promise you, attacks will come, the bigger the target, the bigger the dart. We also need to pray that many people will begin to ask questions and ultimately come to know Christ as their Savior.

Here's the point I want to get to, though...
"For the Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord bestows favor and honor. No good thing does He withhold from those who walk uprightly." -Psalm 84:11

Mr. Tebow is not any better of a Christian than you, me or any other believer. God is not showing him more favor by allowing him to win football games and be a role model to thousands of people. You and I are capable of walking in the same favor!

You, yes YOU, are going to be able to reach people that Tebow will never be able to reach. Wake up each morning asking God for favor... you can find favor in EVERY situation, no matter how good or bad.

I refuse to sit on the sidelines and be pushed aside by the enemy telling me I'm not good enough, or I can't obtain favor because I do not have a major platform. Folks, that's a lie! I challenge you to wake up every single morning asking God to show His favor in your life. Here's the catch: you MUST look for it. It's there, I promise!

For example, a few blogs ago I talked about my university going into a major lockdown due to what we thought was a gunman on campus. During that three hour lockdown, I was upset because I was missing out on a lot of things I could have been doing. I was inconvenienced. If the day would have gone the way I wanted it to go, I would have never met the Dean of my college and been selected on his Board of Advisees.
Another example, I was in a major car accident back in March. My car was totaled. I found favor in that situation... I'm ALIVE! This means I still have purpose!

"The favor of God is where you choose to see it."- Steven Furtick

Folks, no matter how big or small you feel, there is purpose in your life! As long as you are living and breathing, you have purpose! I challenge you to wake up every morning asking God to show you His favor. Open your eyes to opportunity, to not only find favor, but to give it to someone else. After you ask for it, walk in it! Look for it wherever you go! He wants you to ask! Better yet, He wants to give it to you. This is how you can achieve the "Tebow Effect." But really, in the grand scheme of things, it has NOTHING to do with the "Tebow," it's the "God Effect."

One more catch to finding favor: after you ask for it, you must look for it!

"When you pray for God's favor, He presents an opportunity and it's up to you to decide what to do with it." -Steven Furtick

Feel free to comment on this post, letting me know what you think of all of this or if you just have any questions!

No comments: