Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Crossfit Movement and Contest Winning!

I have been hearing so much about this whole "crossfit" thing for the longest time. I've always been kind of interested, but have read so many controversial reviews about it that I've been scared to try it. I don't have a lot of experience with strength and conditioning simply because I don't start that portion of my major until January. There is a guy at ECU who is now trying to start a Crossfit Group and my supervisor was telling me about it. After talking about it with a lot of my friends, I finally convinced myself to go try it. Oh my goodness... I am HOOKED! I will say that a lot of the negative reviews are for people who are a) like to be the best at everything and cannot stand to see someone excel more than them b) people who do not practice proper form and wind up hurt or c) people who do not have good coaching at their crossfit facility and also end up injured because of it.
It's tough, it's done at a high intensity and it will kick your butt. No matter what your fitness level is. Guaranteed. I am currently the only girl working out in my group, which means these guys are kicking my butt. They're stronger and they're faster, but I thrive off of their energy. One thing that I love about Crossfit is that they value community. I have never been put down or felt inadequate. These guys have pushed me beyond my limits and helped me develop my fitness training in a variety of ways! If you ever have a chance to take a shot at it, I say go for it! You won't know what you like until you try it. Don't just listen to the critics... everyone is entitled to their own opinion so go form your own! :)

SUPRISE!


A few weeks ago, the week of my 21st birthday to be exact, The Tim Tebow Foundation started a contest on facebook. I usually do not see their updates on my computer, but for some reason it popped up on my news feed that day. The contest was to encourage your friends to "like" the foundation on facebook. So I posted the link on my wall asking my marvelous friends, who never let me down, to "like" the foundation and comment on their status saying that I referred them. Because my friends are so amazing, they went to town with the "liking." I would say I had about 30-50 come through for me! For every friend that I had to "like" the Tim Tebow Foundation, their name was entered into a drawing. If one of their names was drawn, not only would they win a signed Tim Tebow jersey, but the person that referred them (that'd be me) would also win one! 
My favorite neighbor (seriously, she's been my neighbor for 20 years) and fantastic friend, Paige, was the lucky winner... which made me a very lucky winner as well! The funny thing is, the winners were supposed to be announced at noon the following day. I checked my facebook every 5 seconds all day long and there was no announcement. A week goes by, and there's still no announcement. So me being... well, me, sends them an email asking them about the winner. I get a reply back telling me that it was ironic that I had emailed them because I was the winner. They had sent me a facebook message the day that I entered, but neither I nor Paige received it! So after a long week of waiting, the suspense was over! I emailed her my address and about a week later, a beautiful, signed orange 15 jersey was in my hands! (With a nice post card too)! 
If you read my last post, you know I'm a Tebow supporter and am now an extra excited supporter haha! Thank you, friends (especially Paige) for entering me in this contest! It seriously was the best 21st birthday gift I could have received! 

And of course, there are pictures!
The lucky winners!
Signed :)
With a post card!
With a nice note... and you're welcome! :D

Needless to say, all of this will be going in a shadow box to hang up in my home gym! It's been the perfect end of a birthday celebration and a wonderful beginning of a Christmas celebration!

Speaking of Christmas...
My prayer is that you and your family will enjoy the time that you have together. I hope that you will all be able to sit back for a while, without getting caught up on the "lots of stuff to do" to celebrate what really matters this season: the fact that a little baby was born, a baby that would pay the ultimate sacrifice so that you could live freely and spend eternity hanging out with Him! Thank You, God, for sending Your Son and sacrificing Him because of Your love for me!

Also, I am honored to have been written about in a former teacher's blog. This lady, Lori Cole, has the sweetest heart. She will forever be one of my favorite teachers. Her love for Christ was genuine and she set such a great example for me! Please, if you get a chance, read her blog... not because it's about me (because it's really not), but because it's about the awesome loving and protective power of Jesus! www.loricole.blogspot.com 




No comments: