Wednesday, March 30, 2011

It's raining, it's pouring, my annoying dog is snoring...

My brain and body have pretty much taken all that they can take today, so I can finally update my blog!!

This past weekend was Campus Harvest. It's a huge conference for college students that is held once a year in Durham. There is awesome praise and worship and many speakers to listen too. Two speakers that I look forward to every single year are Lynette Lewis and Jim Laffoon. Lynette is a power house! Not to mention that she always has the cutest shoes!! I seriously would love to have her drive one day and impact the fitness/athletics field of work. It would be awesome! One thing she talked about was the value of friendship. It's important to surround yourself with friends who will lift you up and challenge you! I value the very few and true friends I have that build me up as a person and as a woman walking with Jesus. There are very few people who really know the real Sarah. I think that's important. I believe you shouldn't show many people the true depths of your heart, which can make it extremely hard to open up and it's a challenge that I am trying to overcome! :)
Jim Laffoon spoke on relationships and intimacy. There were a few points he made that really got me thinking. The first one was the misconception that "only God is enough." Yeah, when I read that I was thinking exactly what you're probably thinking. "What in the world, yes He is!" Technically, yes, it is true... but if it were all around true, we wouldn't be desiring relationship with other human beings- especially significant others. I don't know about you, but I greatly desire a relationship with a significant other, but I believe God wants it that way. If He didn't want that, then He wouldn't of created man and woman! The second point was the misconception that only people are enough. I believe this is the end of the spectrum that most people are stuck on- having the mind set that having a good friend or romantic relationship will give them the fulfillment they're looking for. Not true.
There has to be a healthy balance between God and relationships with other people. He wants us to have relationships, but He wants our heart also. He is the only one that can truly fulfill all of the fulfillment that I am looking and desiring for.
The last point that he made is the one that really got me thinking. He was talking about how he and his wife had been married almost 34 years. He gave us the secret to their success: remembering that they are not God. I thought to myself, "well of course, I know that a man is not God." Yes, I know that, but do I truly believe it? Well, I can tell you now that I've prayed and dwelled on it the last few days, yes. I do believe that a boyfriend is not my God, but I was surprised at how I had to change my mindset to actually believe that.
  Do not look for fulfillment in any kind of relationship- whether it be friendship or exclusive. One quote that stuck out to me from Pastor Jim was, "don't make each other gods- you'll wind up disappointed and they'll wind up bitter."

In other news, I got a car!! Not only that, but my parents drove three hours to deliver it to me! How awesome is that?! I have named my car Mo (short for Mo-lissa, yes... Mo-lissa) and she is a wonderful car!  I am very blessed to have the king of negotiating as my father! My daddy is just awesome... I can never say that enough. I do not deserve to have such a wonderful daddy!

So what else do I do on a rainy day when I am tired of reading... I take the love language quiz. Or at least today I did. I defied the odds too! It is extremely rare that someone has a tie for their top love language and BAM I did it! Words of affirmation and quality time. Good stuff. So, if you love me... say something nice and take me out to lunch. HA. just kidding, but not really... :D

No comments: