Monday, September 30, 2013

Don't lose focus!

As I was scrolling through my Facebook wall this evening, I came across an article about engagement. In a nutshell, the article was about how the proposal and the wedding itself are becoming more important than the actual marriage in today's society. I completely agree.

Yes, I do think it's awesome when engagements get captured on video. Yes, I do think it's awesome to show off your ring. (It's exciting!) Yes, I do think it's fun to plan a wedding and enjoy your special day. However, I do not believe it's okay to become completely consumed by one day out of your entire life, although it's such an easy thing to do! I was able to go to a bridal show yesterday near my hometown. I had been looking forward to this event for a month, but when I arrived, I found myself disappointed. I passed by beautiful displays that were a little too elaborate for my taste, but they were beautiful nonetheless. However, I did pass by a few brides that just seemed to be completely consumed by their big day. Don't get me wrong, it's a very important and exciting day, but there's so much meaning behind it. 

I hope I don't come off as a complete fun-sucker, because that's not what I'm trying to do. Just trying to shift perspective.

Weddings are great. They are a sacred, beautiful union between you and your mate. This day is full of celebration with those closest to you because the bride and groom were made for each other. I do, however, feel as though that's not quite what this day is about anymore. TV shows, magazines and Internet sites advertise all of these different elaborate wedding ideas (elaborate is completely fine, by the way), but they only focus on the wedding. Rightfully so, their business is wedding supplies. But I feel as though we have lost sight of what a wedding is truly about. 

"Haven't you read," he replied, "that at the beginning the Creator 'made them male and female,'  and said, 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh' ?  So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate." -Matthew 19:4-6

When Browning got down on one knee and proposed to me, the first thing on my mind was, "Wow, I can't believe this man wants to spend the rest of his life with me!" 

Then the planning started... 
At first it was fun, new, and exciting. Then the planning became stressful, overwhelming, and no fun at all. I wasn't even looking forward to my wedding. I just wanted it done and over with. Talk about a sad way to feel --- this is supposed to be the most exciting time of my life! One day, after I was ready to call off the wedding and go to the courthouse, I challenged myself to just put away the plans for a while to refocus. I began thinking about Browning and how much he means to me. I thought about my confidence in him and how I knew he would take on the world for me. I thought about his devotion, love, and genuine spirit. I had a huge perspective shift. 

April 5, 2014 will be a very exciting day. I will wear a pretty white dress, carry beautiful flowers, stand beside six of my best friends, and say my vows to Browning in front of 150 family members and friends. We will have a great reception filled with laughter, dancing, and food. This is all extremely exciting and I'm looking forward to it!

However, the single greatest thing I'm looking forward to is calling Browning my husband. I have come to the point where I know I don't need a pretty dress, beautiful flowers, or to stand up in front of 150 people and say my vows to Browning. I don't need a great reception filled with laughter, dancing, and food. All I need is to be with him for the rest of my life. He is my best friend and the love of my life. I'm grateful that God blessed us with the resources to be able to have a beautiful wedding day, but I'm even more grateful that God has chosen me to be his wife. This is how I know he is the one for me. 

I pray for all of those who are going through the season of engagement in their lives. I pray that you will get back to what truly matters. (Why you fell in love in the first place!) I pray for those who may be in that stage soon. That you wouldn't get ahead of yourself and just enjoy this time getting to know your boyfriend/girlfriend. I pray for those who don't see anyone coming any time soon. I pray that you will be confident in who you are in Christ, trusting Him to bring you the right person at the perfect time. I pray that when you do enter that stage in your life, that you will remember what truly matters. This isn't about a daylong event in your life. This is about a covenant made before God and a lifetime spent with your best friend.

No comments: