Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is always a really neat time of year for me. One of the top reasons may or may not be because I have 5 great aunts and a grandmother who can cook better than all of the iron chefs combined! (You think I'm kidding...I'm not)!

Every year at Thanksgiving I enjoy being around my entire family (when I say my entire family, I mean my ENTIRE family). This year was no different. I was sitting at one of the many tables around, beside my mom, and just looking around at everyone. I remember when it was just me, Emily and Anna (my cousins), and now there's more kids than I can count on my fingers and toes. It's crazy how quickly life goes by. I catch myself thinking, "Slow down! But wait, Hurry Up!" It's so easy to focus on things we don't have or wanting to be in a different phase of life. I am truly content with where I am, but I can't help but wonder at what's to come. For example: I was thinking earlier today, "what phase of life will I be in this time next year?" Clearly that is something I do not need to worry about at the moment. If it were, I'd be in that phase already. Jesus and I have this conversation quite often. Actually, we have it more often than I'd like to admit.

I'm a go-getter. A hard-headed, determined go-getter. I'm constantly thinking about how I can improve something or create something better (did I mention one of my top strengths in Strength Finders is Futuristic)? In many ways, that's a good thing, but when it comes to God and His timing, it's a definite struggle. I'm one of those people that can see something and make things happen. Unfortunately, that's not how it works with God. There isn't much I can do to "make things happen." Fact: you cannot manipulate God. Plain and simple, folks. Lately I've been allowing myself to get too far ahead of where God wants me to be. Today I clearly heard Him say, "Sarah, you're doing it again. Let it go. My timing. Look around at all you have to be thankful for! Everyday is Thanksgiving with me. Enjoy my presence and all that I've given you... it's all you truly need."

Jesus, forgive me of all the times I try to rush out of your covering and try to make things happen for myself. Thank you, Lord, for second chances, for a chance to continually come back to You. Thank you that I can trust You. Thank you that no matter what, You make ALL things work together for the good of those who love You. I do love you, therefore everything in my life is working together for good.

Friends, look around at all that you have to be thankful for. Even the tiniest things that you take advantage of every day. Slow down, take a breath, God has not forgotten about you. Whatever you are believing Him for, talk to Him about it and trust Him in all things!

Happy Thanksgiving!

"The Lord has done great things for us and we are glad!"-Psalm 126:3

No comments: