Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Bench Press, Genius Mommies, Groceries, Simple Recipes and Anti-Tanning

SO...
Second blog in a row with an interesting title. I'm on a roll! I guess I'll tackle this post by the order of the quite lengthy title.

Bench Press
Today was a big day in the world of fitness, well for me that is. I had a post-max test at the gym. I know what you're thinking, in order for there to be a post-max test then there must have been a pre-max test. Guess what, there was a pre-max test but I don't think that I talked about it on here. So I'm going to tell you about it now. :) Earlier in the semester (around mid-January) Drill Sergeant Billy came to class with that little smirk on his face telling us about our pre-max test. Basically each student got to choose one thing to do a max on, but it isn't your typical max. It was the heaviest amount of weight I could do with repetition. So what do I do? Bench Press, why you ask? I have no stinkin' clue... by far one of the dumbest things I've ever done. I go for the bar (45 lbs) but after I hit rep 30, he made me add weight. So I threw two 5's and two 2 1/2's on the bar to make it a grand total of 60 lbs. (shut up, boys! I don't care what you say, 60 pounds makes me tough). I was extremely nervous, but I start the exercise and end up reppin' it 10 times. WOO!! Yes, I did do a happy dance in the middle of the gym.
Today was the glorious post-max test. The rules of this test are: you don't improve your reps, you fail. Pretty simple, huh? Well, I was nervous because last week I tried practicing for it and could only lift it 3 times. That definitely presented a problem. Today I ate my oatmeal and prayed... hard. (Not that I don't pray hard on a regular basis...wow, I'm getting side tracked easy today). I put the weights on the bar and was trying not to think about my class surrounding the bench, along with the big weight lifting dudes who were on the next bench over, or Drill Sergeant Billy who was staring me down making sure I did everything right. The first 6 reps were a breeze, then I hit 7 and feel like my arms are going to fall off. I knew I had to at least get 11 but I pushed and ended up getting 12! WOO!! I passed my test. I was so happy that I forgot to do a happy dance! I'll have to put that on my list of things to do tomorrow!

Genius Mommies and Simple Recipes
My mommy is pretty much the smartest lady I know. When I cook, I get real fancy. But unfortunately, there's no time for fancy in college. I can cook about 2 recipes that are simple, healthy and take hardly anytime. Those are the same 2 recipes I have been eating non-stop since last August. Needless to say, I'm getting really tired of eating the same things. So who do I call in this time of simple recipe distress?! My mommy!! She saved the day (she does that quite often, it's her thing)! She gave me a small grocery list of things to buy and a lot of different recipes that I could make with those few things. I will have to post some recipes on here at some other date. I just thought I would take this paragraph to honor my wonderful mother who is a recipe genius! :)

Groceries
I went on a grocery store adventure today. I usually shop at Harris Teeter, surprisingly it's a lot cheaper than Food Lion here. Today I decided to go to The Fresh Market. It is a really cool place to go to! Especially if you are a big healthy food buff. I really did not find their prices unreasonable at all. It's comparable with Harris Teeter and their products are fresh with no preservatives. Basically that means it'll do your body good! :)

Anti-Tanning
Everyone here is on a "tanning spree" because summer is just around the corner. I think this year I have decided not to use any kind of tanning/bronzing products. I have extremely fair skin and last year was the first year that it really began to bother me. I felt like I needed to be tan, so instead of going to the tanning bed (which is pretty much death, if you do it... I dare you to stop. Oh and I can't do it cause I'm at risk for melanoma), I got spray tans. They actually work fairly well but who knows what kind of toxins are in that junk.
Tonight I sat down and thought long and hard about why I wanted a tan. I know that sounds really dumb, but sometimes it's the simplest things that complicate our way of thinking. The reason I wanted to do it was because that is what everyone else is doing. I think society has a huge message that everyone needs to be tan to be pretty. I don't think being tan makes anyone pretty. It makes everyone the same. There are plenty of fair skinned, beautiful women out there. Look at Nicole Kidman and Anne Hathaway. They are two of the most popular actresses in Hollywood, they're fair skinned and absolutely gorgeous! I believe beauty has a lot to do with how you carry yourself. So this summer, I'm going to carry myself in my bikini with fair skin. Booyah! Jesus made me fair skinned for a reason, so I will rock it because that what He wants me to do. Plus, some dudes like fair skinned ladies. :D

No comments: